Followers

Thursday 27 May 2010

Lettuce edging and more.............

This is totally different to my normal posting about cards............... I have been doing lots of sewing recently and have just finished these two pieces ready to take to my class tomorrow morning.

The piece on the left is a strip from a pair of black opaque tights, satin stitched down each edge, then a thinner strip finished in the same way sewn down the centre. There is a tacking stitch down the length which, when gathered, gives this lovely frilly "embellishment" - it's normally referred to as lettuce edging and is great fun to do. The second piece is a piece of felt sewn from centre of the circle to the edge continuously going around the circle numerous (and I mean numerous) times - it gets to a stage where you cannot sew any more into the centre as the stitching is too thick so you cut out the circle from the piece of felt and continue stitching around the edge until it actually doubles in size and you can manipulate it into various shapes. I would hate to tell you how long this piece took but believe me it was ages!!! Now all I've got to do is find a use for it........... lol

Thanks for looking.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you have been having fun and I can well appreciate the length of time it takes to make these sort of embellishments - been there, done that etc. I really must get back to doing some machine embroidery and try to fit it into my busy schedule LOL!! Maybe if I didn't waste time going to bed at night...

    ReplyDelete
  2. 2 interesting projects, now wonder where you will use them, hope we get to see
    Jose

    ReplyDelete

All your comments and thoughts are really appreciated, as is the time you've taken to leave them :o)